Friday, June 3, 2011

Internet and Communication

The Internet has indeed made the world a smaller place. Email, video conferencing, social websites, and instant messaging have made it very easy and cheap to contact other people in almost any place in the world almost instantly provided that they are online. I, for one, am not a big fan of instant messaging or social websites. I have accounts on Myspace.com and Facebook.com, but I hardly ever use them. As a matter of fact such a long time goes by from the last time that I logged on that I usually forget my password and have to request that it be reset. It's not that I'm an unfriendly person. I value my privacy. If someone needs to contact me they have my cell phone number or they can send me an email. I almost never use my computer to communicate with others except through email. When I'm using my computer I'm usually focused on certain tasks such as online courses or doing some research. Having instant messages pop up every couple of minutes distracts me from what I am trying to accomplish. That is just my personal preference. My wife and daughters enjoy Facebook and instant messaging to the point where it seems like it’s an addiction. I don’t knock them for that. They are spending their leisure time doing something that they enjoy. I’d rather curl up with a good book or watch a movie. Does that make me antisocial?

No comments:

Post a Comment