Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Internet and Education

The Internet has had an enormous impact on education. The most obvious example is the ability to take online college courses. I used to take courses at UML in the classrooms. For three nights a week after work I would sit in heavy traffic to get to the campus. Then I would sit in a classroom for three hours and listen to the professors give lectures. Most of the time I could barely stay awake and my mind would wander. I would think about the things that needed to be done at home. With online learning I can better mange my time. I can read part of a lecture then spend some time with my family, or do some chores, and then finish reading the lecture afterwards. My time is spent more efficiently through multitasking.

Children can now attend school through the Internet if they cannot attend a traditional school due to health reasons. My daughter attends high school through the Internet. Before that we would have a tutor come to our home. Sometimes we had to send the tutor away when my daughter was too sick to do her lessons. That was an inefficient use of the tutor’s time because she had already scheduled so many hours to be with my daughter and now she had to rearrange her schedule with her other students. Now if my daughter is too sick for a lesson she can put it off until later in the day when she is feeling better.

The Internet is also a great educational tool for anyone that just wants to learn something for the sake of learning. I’ve learned many things from the Internet that I was interested in. I’ve learned how to create virtual machines on my computers to run multiple operating systems simultaneously without the hassle of creating dual boot computers. I’ve learned how to create digital backups of my home movies that I had stored on old 8mm video tapes. I’ve even learned how to create DVDs of those digital backups so my family can watch them on a standard DVD player hooked up to our television. I’ve learned all that and more without having to any take specialized classes or buy expensive books.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, I really like not having to commute and stress over finding a parking spot. Taking online courses is such a relief.

    I have learned so much using the Internet than I ever have reading a book. Having so many search engines and sources of information, knowing how to utilize it all of course, makes the possibilities limitless!

    ReplyDelete